Re: It may be the sun causing the problems

Author:Christopher H. Laco
Posted:11/4/1999; 5:30:04 AM
Topic:It may be the sun causing the problems

he he..i had this same problem with some additional fun when I had ISDN moved to my new house.

Since i needed 2 phone lines and ISDN [128k 24/7], the local phone company decided to run a new "snake" from the house the the pole...and I mean new..out of the box.

Everything got hooked up and was all good as far as I thought. I just swapped my new spids in for the old and everything was up again...

Well..the next week turned into tech support hell...the connection was up and down all the time...but only during the day... The phoner company tried to tell me that everytime I unplugged/power cycled/moved the ISDN router in my house...it screwed up the switch port at the CO and it had to manually be reset... NOT@#$% after 4 separate tickets and a few phone calls to some VPs [thnks for a friends tip on higher up numbers]...they sent out a tech...

he came in side and test the wall port [that i wired from the outside box]...errors galore...

he went to the outside box..errors galore [at least my wiring was off the hook!]

Then he went to the main box a block down ..no errors [why he didn't check my pole first?...we laughed about it later]

He we to another main box the other direction..no errors...

So he came back and tested my pole..no errors?

It turns out that 1 copper wire in the brand new snake they ran was bad...and to make matters worse..it only appeared during hot days...

we switched to another pai..and haven't had a problem since...

Now if they'de just get that DSL switch in the CO... :-P