Re: Collab filtering at alexlit.com

Author:Walter Logeman
Posted:11/7/1999; 8:41:22 PM
Topic:Collab filtering at my.userland.com?

Paul wrote: >>I think collaborative filtering technology that requires people to "rate" things is doomed to fail (e.g. Firefly).<<

Paul, I agree best not to require it.

If we take the my.userland.com situation I have to eliminate certain weblogs on the 'choose' screen or I get too many links. What happens when there are 10,000 weblogs?

Why not hook me up to those weblogs my "taste buddies", ie others who are choosing similarly to me, are choosing. That could happen on the basis of me choosing three or four weblogs, just like buying at amazon. Once they know a couple of books, they do a good job at picking my videos!

While not depending on rating I think it can be made optional.

The results can get much sharper if I rate the info i get. Some optional refinement is possible at amazon. Specifying various categories can also help... for example, recommend a chat group or a reference page etc.

As the sociometric network, the pool of tate buddies in the database changes I get a sweeter voice whispering in my ear!