Re: RSS Issues: Comments requested

Author:Edd Dumbill
Posted:11/15/1999; 8:34:30 AM
Topic:RSS Issues: Comments requested

An interesting thought occurred to me while reading this thread, and it's that RSS has been overtaken in a sense by the rise of the weblog.

RSS was orginally aimed to syndicate headlines. Since then we've found that it's very very near an XMLization of a weblog. Yet weblogs, just now and then, use the full power of HTML rather than stick to a format.

There'll be a point (I think we're near it) when RSS "just works" and any more attention to it will make it too complicated to be used, as Dan fears.

Maybe we're looking for a weblog DTD that has the same uptake potential as RSS does? And maybe because of Blogger, Manila, Zope and so on it won't matter if it's a teensy bit more complex underneath because people will be creating them via tools rather than by hand.

It's a shame that XML namespaces create so much controversy, because the modularity they can bring would be really neat here, allowing applications and users simply to ignore what they can't grok.