Bulk EMail/List Server Tool??

Author:Randy
Posted:11/20/1999; 3:43:47 PM
Topic:Bulk EMail/List Server Tool??

I've inherited responsibility for an e-commerce/e-business application that includes an e-mail notification system. It's a home grown system built with shell scripts, MySQL, and majordomo on an AIX machine. There are 100+ mailing lists, 15K subscribers and 50K outbound messages per day. It currently requires a great deal of care and feeding. And, we have to get it off the IBM platform.

The system currently provides a very friendly interface for subscribing and unsubscribing. The application has awareness of the different mailing lists and routes outbound e-mail according to transaction type.

We're looking for new tools to replace this service. Do we build it? Can we buy it?

Is there a good industrial strength, general use mail engine to fit this requirement that we can run on Solaris? An extraordinariliy reliable commercial hosting service?

If we build a user interface for subscribing, unsubscribing, etc with HTML and PERL and use Oracle as a database server, what can we use to manage mail queues, handle rejects, and deliver mail?? We'd rather buy it than try and re-build it from scratch.

Thanks for any help.

rsparkman@att.net