Re: How are we doing?

Author:Paul Howson
Posted:11/28/1999; 6:06:45 PM
Topic:How are we doing?

I always found that the concept of "saving" was confusing to new computer users (this was back in the 80's before computers became so ubiquitous).

But you're right, why should the user be concerned with what is in effect an implementation detail --- the distinction between RAM and disk.

Mainstream PC software is littered with complicated, confusing concepts which have now become entrenched habit. No one is willing to throw them out.

My prediction: one day simplicity will become a valued principle and technology will be valued according to how simple and understandable it is (i.e. how little of your time and energy it consumes).