Wanted: "date" field for RSS item

Author:Alex Chaffee
Posted:12/10/1999; 6:51:34 AM
Topic:Wanted: "date" field for RSS item

Who do I have to sleep with to get a "date" field officially added to the spec for RSS and/or ScriptingNews? That is, a per-item date field, so I can see when each item was added/published. That way I could, for instance, merge several channels and sort by most-recently-added item. Or I could have a channel containing stories from the past week, and actually see which day/time each was published. As it is, all I can really tell is when the channel was last published, and often I have to fudge that (by recording the date I downloaded it last).

You see the symptoms of this lack in http://www.salonherringwiredfool.com/. There's always a big chunk of stories with the same date from the same source, followed by another chunk from a different source. While the current system works OK for sites with a big daily update, most weblogs (and many other data feeds) add items one at a time, sporadically over the entire day.

- Alex