Re: drawCalendar Flaw

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/11/1999; 7:54:10 AM
Topic:drawCalendar Flaw

Thanks David!

I'd like to have a template for our developers, just as they would like to have a template for every little thing in the websites we generate. The message you just posted would be the template. Try to understand what it feels like. Every great feature in Manila is a little pain in my back. Add them all up, and my back is basically out of action. Gotta take a vacation. While I'm resting, I don't want this DG to be filled with developers saying we abandoned them. Over and over I just want you guys to know that we're just human beings. We have our limits. I want you to factor that in, and use that bit of info to temper the complaints.

We're going to pause and reflect here. We have a short list of quick no-brainer deliverables, and a longer list that requires some thought. For example, yesterday I sent an email to Brent saying that we should immediately do a pictureRef macro. But I forgot that in order to do that we need a strategy for adding macros to the standard Manila distribution. We don't have such a strategy. That's one of the reasons I'm experimenting with non-critical macros such as the surveyMacros pair that I released yesterday morning.

We're still not there, and until we are, there will be no way to align pictures. Is this a bigger problem than Andrew's complaint about the calendar? In my mind, as an everyday serious web developer, there's absolutely no doubt that it's higher priority. But it's also a much more difficult design problem on our end.