Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/11/1999; 7:59:33 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Dale Dougherty: Channeling Broadband. "RSS got its start at Netscape and is now being driven by Dave Winer, the developer of Frontier, who does most of the RSS work through his site, userland.com." I guess we now have the answer to Who do you have to sleep with? to get a feature added to RSS. ";->"

New Manila feature. All sites now have a page listing the people who have signed up as members of the site. Here's an example, the members page on my EditThisPage.Com site.

Frontier: Safe Macros Guidelines. "This page presents some guidelines for determining the safety of a macro, a process of consideration to go through before marking a macro as safe and allowing other people to use it."

Survey: Who Writes Bloat?

If you voted "Other", who do you think writes Bloat?

For people who doubt there's a pragmatic use for XML, check out this screen shot, showing the survey authoring environment we're using. XML replaces what would otherwise be a complex maze of HTML forms. In other words, XML makes it easier.

Another pragmatic use for XML. We use it to specify the membership forms that map onto membership database records, in Manila. It's not something we're dreaming about, it's delivered.

New site: Mozilla Quick News. Great logo, great story.

Jason Levine rants about Netscape, as if it were a healthy company and hadn't just been split in two and acquired.

MacWorld: Free software squeezes Email clients.

On Friday I'm meeting with Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's top marketing guy for MSN. I'm meeting with him wearing my analyst hat, to get briefed on their big picture. What is MSN? How does it relate to Yahoo, AOL, eBay, @Home, etc.

About the bandwidth situation, we did a deal with Exodus last week, and will be hosting several sites inside their Santa Clara data center. This should improve the connection, we hope.

Things are hummin along at New Rules.

WSJ: Can Linux Justify the Buzz? "It’s all about 'mindshare' and buzz, say analysts — not realistic projections of revenue and profits."

Scott Hanson's Manila site has pictures, and also includes a reference to the global Curly shortcut.