Re: Charlie Wood Opts Out

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/14/1999; 6:55:37 AM
Topic:Charlie Wood Opts Out

OK, got it.

You may be right.

Of course I just told the truth.

What filters would you apply to me if you were my editor?

I got a bunch of mail from people about that comment, btw.

All of it was of the Right on! sort.

One even pointed me to a company that's using "The Final Solution" to describe their service. One has to wonder.

My grandfather, dead for 17 years, asked me to make him a promise when I was a little boy. He asked me never to forget what the Nazis did. I've kept that promise, and I plan to continue to. I can imagine that if I lived through what he did that I would want people to never forget. The indignity of being herded in cattle cars into gas chambers en masse to be destroyed. Men, women and children. Moms, dads, grandmas and grandpas. Aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. These were people. I think we've lost track of that somewhere.

Which do you think is more offensive? Giving a product the name of the world's most effective extermination engine ever, or pointing it out?

Who's going to show some guts?

If we don't, will it happen again?

Just some questions to think about. Not sure I have the answers.