Making Computers Understand News

Author:Matthew R. Wilson
Posted:12/23/1999; 2:47:37 PM
Topic:Making Computers Understand News

I just ran across an article that might be of interest to Scripting News readers...

http://www.signiform.com/erik/pubs/newsund.htm

This is an excellent use of XML, in my opinion. Rather than explaining it myself, I will give you the opening of the paper and recommend you follow the link and read it!

"Computers and devices are largely unaware of events taking place in the world. This could be changed if news were made available in a computer-understandable form. In this paper we present XML documents called NewsForms that represent the key points of 17 types of news events. We discuss the benefits of computer-understandable news and present the NewsExtract program for converting text news stories into NewsForms."