Re: First What's New page was at Mosaic, not Netscape

Author:Jakob Nielsen
Posted:12/28/1999; 8:49:05 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

The "What's New" page from June 1993 was not from Netscape but from the Mosaic project at the NCSA. This page was originally called "What's New With NCSA Mosaic?" and was updated daily - if there had been any new sites added to the Web htat day. Many days, there was nothing new to report!

I certainly remember going back to that page every day during 1993 to check out the growth of the Web. It was actually possible to read about all the new sites, even though it quickly became impossible to try them all.

Netscape must have copied some of these old files over to their site when that company was started the following year.

NCSA still maintains an archive of these old "What's New With NCSA Mosaic" pages. The June 1993 version is at: http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/Docs/old-whats-new/whats-new-0693.html

Unfortunately, I don't think that the very oldest files are archived. Also, I don't remember when the "What's New" page was started. It could well be the case that during the first several months, they simply overwrote the same file.