Re: Rant

Author:Oliver Breidenbach
Posted:1/6/2000; 5:26:41 AM
Topic:HTML Renderer in the MacOS

BTW, Dave mentioned that he couldn't register on Apple's site because he was not using a Mac. It turns out that even a Mac user has to upgrade to Mac OS 9 in order to register.

That is called "package bundling". Of course they want to make money off of it. So, you have to buy Mac OS 9. What is there to be upset about? The service costs millions. I think it is economically sound to have only ones customers to benefit from it.

The decision to only allow Mac OS 9 user to use iReview seems pretty stupid, though. But in contrast to homepage, mail and iDisk, iReview really needs a giant audience to be of value to its users. Seems as if Apple´s internet strategists still have some things left to learn. As we all do.

Cheers,

Oliver.