Re: This bubble has already been burst

Author:Paul Guinnessy
Posted:1/7/2000; 2:50:03 AM
Topic:HTML Renderer in the MacOS

I disagree. I deal with a lot of people who are still very cautious on how to use a computer on the internet. This is exactly what they will be looking for. I think we forget sometimes that over 40% of the US population (and even more outside) still haven't used the internet. It makes a lot of sense to simplify access into one 'family' type portal. These new itools seem to be a stroke of genius. They (Apple) hardly provide any of the content but rely on the web (which is where eWorld went wrong) to provide content.

I suspect within two months you'll see Microsoft, hackers or Apple itself provide a way to access iDisk without a Mac. It may appear not to be open source but the underlying protocols are, so its only a matter of time.

I would say that the main people who will take advantage of it aren't US users, but European or Asia users, and that is where Apple could make a hell of a lot of money.

Paul

PS. And less we forget, nearly every PC manufactuer has its own internet provider (Gateway etc..) so its not as if Apple is the only one going down this route.