Re: Now it makes more sense

Author:Chaz Larson
Posted:1/7/2000; 2:08:41 PM
Topic:Now it makes more sense

I don't get it, why is that easier than clicking on a link in the web browser?

I don't have to start my web browser. I don't have to decide whether I should download the binhex or MacBinary version. I don't have to worry about whether I have the latest version of Stuffit Expander or whatever. I don't have to wonder where that file I just downloaded ended up. I don't have to wait through 90% of the download, only to run out of disk space because I didn't think to compare that number in Download Manager with my free disk space.

For Mac users like my parents, putting something on their iDisk makes it accessible. Now, they don't need to know anything about any of that plumbing. The iDisk is an HFS disk just like any other disk they use, so the files don't have to be encoded in any way [visible to them]. They just drag the file from the iDisk to their hard drive, or just double-click it in place. If they copy it, they get told in advance if there's not enough space.

It's just way more friendly and familiar to average users.