Re: What's going on with SOAP and XML-RPC lately?

Author:Samuel A. Falvo II
Posted:1/9/2000; 9:44:12 PM
Topic:What's going on with SOAP and XML-RPC lately?

The XML-RPC spec is 3 pages long and clearly written. As a relatively inexperienced programmer, I was able to come up with my ASP implementation.

While I agree mostly with your assessment, I find fault in the existing XML-RPC standard document in the following areas:

  1. Is the tag's contents considered PCDATA or just CDATA according to the XML-RPC DTD?
  2. Speaking of a DTD, where is it? Or, better yet, how about writing up an XML Schema file describing XML-RPC? That would help greatly in clearing up the ambiguities with respect to and tags.
  3. I'm grievously disappointed that the tag doesn't support scientific notation. I feel sorry for the poor souls who want to transfer large arrays of scientific data or other extremely large/small numbers using the existing decimal notation requirement. Anyone know what 6023000000000000000000000 approximately represents? Let alone the unnecessary network bandwidth it consumes...

There are a couple of things I'd like to see included in a future version of XML-RPC as well, but which are not currently required. Things like a standard representation for the UUID/GUID datatype, support for object references, etc.