Use Outliner to Organise DG Threads

Author:Michael 'Change' Maier
Posted:1/10/2000; 7:59:35 PM
Topic:Use Outliner to Organise DG Threads

Over on Manila-Newbies Mail List we have been discussing getting listserv messages into a Manila DG. One problem that was pointed out is that Listserv messages would not come in nicely threaded. It occurred to me that maybe using an outliner an individual could thread the messages anyway they choose.

Other things I would like to see in DG: 1) Multiple days on a single page. (like homepage) 2) Expandable/collapsable topics on same page. 3) Next/previous to follow messages in thread. 4) Next/Previous Topic. 5) Keeping context you follow thread

Even using a webform like in Manila there could be a way to emulate an outliner: e.g. - use pipes to represent indents

Top
|Sub 1 of Top
|Sub 2 of Top
||Sub 1 of Sub2 of Top
|||Sub 1 of Sub 1 of Sub2 of Top
And so on.

The outliner is one the more useful features of Frontier. It's one of the things that help make scripting easy. It would be nice to see this strength worked into the DG.

Thanks

Michael Maier, multimedia programmer
Cornell University mam227@cornell.edu