Re: Manila on Linux

Author:Dennis Moser
Posted:1/14/2000; 10:04:51 AM
Topic:Manila on Linux

An interesting, if unsatisfying, response. I hope that your pointer to the policy page is not to imply that I am approaching non-compliance.

As for "buying" my arguments, I haven't overstated the Mac user contribution...heck, I know a minority when I am one. I had only drawn attention to the fact the product IS cross-platform, but in its present incarnation, ONLY for Mac and Windows users and that there clearly exists a market for Linux users. This latter point you admit. Yes, you have limited development resources; yes, choose the shortest path for getting there. What's emotionally pressuring about that? I am, at this point, reminded of the Monty Python skit about "proper" arguments.

Kam (http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$14401) was pointing out that almost everything that he has found for Intel-Linux could be be re-compiled for LinuxPPC (which draws A LOT from the Red Hat distribution). His question seems to hinge around the issue of emulation through the use of WINE to get things to work.

Would you suggest that Emulation is a Good Thing on older, slower machines...machines which, if not reincarnated as Linux boxes, represent a lost market. On newer, faster boxes emulation is increasingly less of an issue. Will the use of WINE code to achieve a Linux port of Frontier positively preclude the porting of same to LinuxPPC? If yes, I am just as disappointed as Kam. If no, then GO FOR IT, post haste. I hope this isn't interpreted as speaking for Kam, but that was how I understood it: Why would I want to run an emulation if I've got a perfectly good Windows (or Mac...or Linux!) machine that runs the code natively?

Skip Davos, man, get the code written (Just kidding; I'm grinning at the thought of you getting a haircut and putting on a white shirt and tie! Who's taking the photos? D_W_Does_Davos! dwdd.editthispage.com!).