Re: 100 websites that will change the world

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:1/16/2000; 11:24:22 PM
Topic:100 websites that will change the world

I really don't like E-bay, and it's probably a sign that they're doing something right.

It used to be that most of the buying and selling took place on Usenet, a reasonably efficient market place, but occasionally a startling inefficient market place. (Efficient in economic terms, where the value of an object is known and agreed upon)

It was the inefficiencies that I liked. In areas that I knew well, a bargain (by definition, an inefficiency, since if the market could bear a higher price without changing the time on the market, that price should have been known by the seller) could be spotted and acted on quickly. I have bought many bike parts at well below 'fair market' value with this system. And it was a handy way to get rid of parts _quickly_ if I didn't want something.

Ebay has basically killed this barter. From an economic standpoint, auctions are a more effecient mechanisim, but given the publicity and the search tools, it's far harder to be the most knowlegable buyer for a particular item.

eric