Working around GeoWorks' patent

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:1/24/2000; 9:33:37 AM
Topic:Working around GeoWorks' patent

Dave says: With Geoworks, I don't have a workaround. Maybe we could find something useful for them to do so they will have something to lose? See how patents pervert things!

Nice thought :).

Even though I don't know the exact nature of their patent, isn't it obvious? The procedure for a workaround is to find what in WAP they claim is covered by their patent, then change WAP sufficiently to avoid the claim. Yes, it's a pain in the behind, but that's the way all patents are. You're darn right patents are useless as an offensive weapon, they're intended as a defensive weapon, intended to cause pain to competitors and used by big corporations as stepping stones and bargaining chips.