Joust Outliner in Frontier

Author:Mike Murry
Posted:2/4/2000; 1:25:45 PM
Topic:Joust Outliner in Frontier

For anyone who is interested, I've put together a sample Frontier GDB that demonstrates how to incorporate the Joust Outliner application into a Frontier site.

For those of you unfamiliar with Joust, it is a very cool JavaScript based application that lets you create JavaScript index menus that function just like Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder) folder hierarchies. You can get all the details at http://www.alchemy-computing.co.uk/joust/.

I took all the JavaScript source code and escaped all the necessary characters, and took out all references to file extensions (.html, .gif, etc.). The GDB has two samples. One uses Joust in a static Frontier site and the other shows how to use Joust to build the menu dynamically.

Please read the documentation at the Joust website to learn how it all works. It should be easy to figure out if you know a little JavaScript. Also note that my sample apps are really lame. You couldn't use them for anything as is, but they should help you understand how to use Joust in your own Frontier sites.

I did this mainly as a proof of concept for a project I'm working on so I don't know what else I'll be doing with this. I think you could do some really cool stuff with this, so feel free to do whatever you want with it.

I didn't write up any docs, but email me at mmurry@ddbdigital.com if you have any questions. You can download the zipped GDB from http://www.vkamedia.com/downloads/Joust.zip.