Indonesia's Leader

Author:David Golding
Posted:2/4/2000; 5:54:11 PM
Topic:Indonesia's Leader

From DaveNet:

I heard a stirring talk by Abdurrahman Wahid, the new Prime Minister of Indonesia, one of the largest countries on earth. He says it's not all about money; and he says it in a folksy way. "I am a poor man, but look, I'm president of my country!" Another deep laugh and sigh of relief. Indonesia, a country that needs a leader, has one.

Indonesia's in my backyard, and my country Australia currently has a peacekeeping presence in East Timor (formerly part of Indonesia). Wahid may or may not be the leader his country needs, but he disturbs me as he has said he will pardon his top General if the man is convicted of crimes against humanity - in fact, he said it at Davos.

I guess that that's the sort of thing that causes demonstrations, the connections that are disconnected in places like Davos.