Re: CMS Perl module HTML::Mason

Author:Roger Espinosa
Posted:2/10/2000; 5:50:21 PM
Topic:CMS Perl module HTML::Mason

With apache/mod_perl, it has more to do with Mason acting as a "runtime engine", vs. the way Apache::ASP worked.

Apache::ASP loads each ".asp" document individually, and it takes up a chunk of memory. And it sits there. Earlier versions snarfed up components, creating copies of components -- and if you're trying to replace all your XSSI with embedded perl, you'll run out of resources quickly.

Which (for one application) is what we wanted -- a unified scripting environment that could "juice up" pages that were HTML, as well as support script-only components.

(Note that in the above, I'm talking about Apache::ASP, which is all Perl, so as with Mason, you've got almost too many libraries available to you.)