Re: Site critique

Author:Nick Sweeney
Posted:2/16/2000; 8:13:20 PM
Topic:Site critique

The "open" vs "open in new window" debate is, I think, a depressing legacy of the browser's history. Because Mosaic and Netscape came out of X Windows development, no-one really thought about whether it'd be possible to implement an alternative to those two options. Opera uses MDI, which is fairly nasty; but the Windows browser I currently like is Netcaptor:

http://www.netcaptor.com

which allows you to tab between browsers in a single window, all using the IE5 browser control. And infinitely preferable to designs which try to implement the tab metaphor within sites themselves.