Re: CNN text size

Author:David Rothgery

Since CNN looks fine at text-size medium in IE for most people, I decided to take a look at the source and see what they were doing wrong. The HTML didn't tell me much, but the style sheets made things pretty clear. Here's the big things they did wrong.

  1. CNN mixed absolute and relative sizes on the same page. Although the people championing logical markup prefer relative sizes (and I agree with them), mixing absolute and relative markup makes it hard to determine why some text is unreasonably big/small, and other text is fine.
  2. CNN used a relative font size that was smaller than the user-defined 'normal' for a lot of elements. If there are large sections of text on a web site, they should be displayed in the users default font size, and with the default background and foreground colors.