Re: Chiling patents

Author:Ralph.Klapis@valpo.edu

This is not really a direct response, but I have been following the Amazon/patents controversy this week, and I found it interesting to see a feature on ABC Nightly News last night about patenting the Human Genome. URL:http://www.abcnews.go.com/onair/CloserLook/wnt_000228_CL_Genomics_feature.html Apparently the Patent Office is jammed with applications for patents of genetic sequences. Once a company runs a sequence on a part of the genome, they can receive a patent, and anyone who does research on that segment must have permission, and any medical treatments they might develop will presumably have to pay a cut to the sequencing companies. If people start to wake up and realize what this means, the whole patent system may indeed be in for a major overhaul.