UCITA is evil!

Author:Steven C. Den Beste
Posted:3/5/2000; 9:01:10 AM
Topic:UCITA is evil!

UCITA is a one-sided law which completely changes all provisions of software sales and licensing, completely in the favor of software publishers.

Read about it here.

It is very near to being passed in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The legislature has sent it to the Governer for his signature.

I urge everyone to send him mail urging a veto, before Wednesday, March 8, 2000.

Be polite!

Among the other draconian provisions of this bill:

Software would no longer be sold. Instead, it would be leased. The software publisher could revoke the lease at any time. The software publisher could incorporate code permitting the publisher to deactivate the software remotely through the net. You would have no recourse.

The bill would revoke most "fair use" copyright provisions. You would not be able to publicly comment on software without permission from the publisher. (First amendment? What first amendment?)

It is important that this not pass anywhere, because we may all be governed by it if it does. The publishers could simply add a provision to their licenses that "This license shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia" and then we're ALL screwed.