Us Versus Them Attitude

Author:Adam Farstrup
Posted:3/10/2000; 8:53:54 PM
Topic:Us Versus Them Attitude

Dave’s realization in ‘Speaking of the Cluetrain’ of the pervasive "if you’re not with me, you must be against me" attitude is dead on.

This realization really came home to me during the constitutional crisis brought on by the Clinton scandal. Before the house vote on impeachment, our local representative, Chris Shays, held a town meeting to listen to what the people had to say. Even granting leeway to people due to the impassioned nature of the topic at hand I was struck by the fact that, other than Representative Shays, very few people in the room were listening to each other. People would even try to boo people with opposing points of view until Chris intervened. I think this is one of the things that has crippled congress. It is no longer possible, in the general discourse, to have polite differences of opinion. No more agreeing to disagree while maintaining a level of respect for the other person. Instead we have reached a point of friends and enemies, clear as black and white with no middle ground. I could cite numerous other examples but it would become redundant. Suffice it to say it seems to have become prevalent.

I hope that the web re-enables respectful, academic and collegial discussion. At least it happens on Scripting.com and DaveNet. I have many times disagreed with Dave and seen Dave disagree with others. Yet throughout that Dave has always kept a level of respect in the conversation. He listens to the other opinions, values them, even when he passionately disagrees. He concedes points when he feels they have been proven. This is how it is supposed to work. The conversation has multiple sides and shades and points in between. Keep up the good work Dave, I am constantly learning new things from you and the others in this community.

Adam