Re: SOAP vs NGWS

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:4/10/2000; 10:03:58 PM
Topic:SOAP vs NGWS

I can see that SOAP is an "open wire protocol" and XML is an "open data format", but I can also see that defining and controlling what these protocols DELIVER could produce a monopoly position. No?

Yes.

But a lot of things have to happen before lock-in.

Like the rest of the software industry has to sit on their butts and do nothing else.

I wish in one of the articles one of the people they interviewed said something like this.

"What Microsoft is doing is cool for sure, but we're doing something even hotter."

Notice how none of them said that.

What's wrong with this picture?

PS: If they had called me I would have said that.

PPS: Remind me to call Brian Behlendorf. It's time already.

PPPS: Read this piece. Standards standards standards. Give me something as cool as cookies.