Re: Why you don't want Gnutella (at least not yet)

Author:Joshua D. Boyd
Posted:4/12/2000; 8:58:02 AM
Topic:Why you don't want Gnutella (at least not yet)

>Gnutella's good from the perspective that it shows people what is >possible. But it's very, very bad in that it provides an extremely >immature implementation that has serious scalability problems that >will likely get it thrown off most LANs. My not-so-bold prediction >is that Gnutella will be gone in a few months, replaced by >applications that do a much better job at solving this problem.

I think your right about Gnutella's fate, but for different reasons. I think a lot of those things might have been fixed soon, but the big problem is that AOL is set against it (and since AOL owns the programmers who wrote Gnutella...) because (among other things), it could lead to loss of revenue from Warner music.