XML-RPC Spell Checker

Author:Jason Levine
Posted:4/14/2000; 9:40:45 AM
Topic:XML-RPC Spell Checker

Dave:

I was actually close to writing a Manila plug-in spell checker (I even threw the entire spell dictionary from my linux ispell app into a GDB as a starting point), but I couldn't grok how I could get Manila to use an intermediary step when posting a message.

In other words, if I implemented it, I'd want the following functionality:

  1. User creates a new topic, or types in a reply to an existing topic;
  2. User clicks on the "Post" button;
  3. Spelling suite checks the spelling, and throws up a page that has the entire message, and any words that it doesn't know are highlighted, with a pulldown menu of possible replacements;
  4. User goes through and makes all the changes that he or she wants to, and then clicks on the "Post" button;
  5. Message is posted.

Right now, the Manila flow is 1 -> 2 -> 5 (in the above list); I couldn't figure out how to interpose 3 and 4. Is it possible? If so, I can whip something together soon...

/jason