Re: Mozilla is not a browser

Author:Steven Vore
Posted:4/16/2000; 1:43:44 PM
Topic:Mozilla is not a browser

if they decide that some of the critical functions of the UI require HTML rendering

Ah, I see where you're at. I was thinking more about the way that "explorer" changed once IE was "integrated", that sort of thing. The User Experience changed without (imho) any user benefit. I can deal with, though, your example of the help engine changing it's data file format and display engine. I guess I'll have to ponder what the differences are to me a little more [grin].

As for replacable, I've been in the software support business for almost eight years now and can certianly understand apprehension on the developers & supporters part. But it seems like we've already got a worse mess with other components - how many different apps drop their own copy of mfc42.dll on the system without checking for a newer version? So somewhere in the system control panel or somesuch there's a field that shows the currently installed version of html_renderer.dll (or whatever) that can easily be checked. Perhaps the os even keeps a backup copy and can swap whatever's there with it's own in case a problem is suspected.

I know, I'm being optimistic. Why should MS, or any company, do a little extra work that would allow customers to use another company's product in conjuncion with their own?

More thought obviously needed. But not during the weekend :)