Re: Music and the Internet

Author:Kip DeGraaf
Posted:4/17/2000; 2:34:55 PM
Topic:Music and the Internet

Shucks Jacob, you're too fast for me. ";->"

My only issue with the protocol is that it penalizes someone whose creations might be worth much more, but their reputation isn't great enough yet to command the sum they desire.

Another view can be had at an older Slashdot story.

If someone creates a great song they feel will eventually be sought after by millions of consumers and feels they should be compensated with $500,000 just an example, but the artist has no reputation yet, their only recourse is to publish a tiny tidbit and hope it hooks a lot of people. Because without a large enough reputation, you are not going to convince tens of thousands of consumers to escrow a couple of dollars each. Folks will look at that large sum and figure the guy will never get that much.