Re: Help XML-DEV get back in the groove and..

Author:Luke Tymowski
Posted:4/22/2000; 5:34:02 PM
Topic:Help XML-DEV get back in the groove and..

From the mailing lists I read, and from what I've read elsewhere, if you want the best mail/list server you need: FreeBSD with soft updates configured (apparently this gives it a 7-8 times boost over Linux; Postfix as your MTA; and Mailman as your list manager. Mailman has built-in archiving support.

Ebay uses Postfix, and they send out a phenomenal quantity of e-mail. Python.org have switched to Postfix and they use Mailman. Mailman is written in Python fwiw.

Pair.com, a web hosting provider, also provide mailing list support through Pairlist.net, and their software list is as I've noted above.

For best filesystem performance you need one of the BSDs, and from what I've read, Freebsd seems to be the one people use for high-performance mail and web servers.