Help XML-DEV get back in the groove and..

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:4/22/2000; 4:50:12 PM
Topic:Help XML-DEV get back in the groove and..

On the XML-DEV list, Norman Walsh said:

"I completely agree with the many individuals who pointed out, essentially, that this isn't rocket science. I maintained the lists at O'Reilly when I was employed there and an old sparc box had no trouble managing all the traffic in a timely fashion. There are lots of examples of lists on the internet that have excellent response time.

"I've isolated why (or at least one reason why) the OASIS machine hangs completely: the root partion fills up and things get ugly. Ok, I can make sure that doesn't happen, but I haven't quite figured out yet why the machine performs so poorly when it is running. It's essentially unloaded (the load average is typically less than one, I've seen it as low as 0.1), so I'm pretty sure it isn't CPU bound. Anyone have any suggestions about where to look for general majordomo/sendmail sluggishness?

"By looking at the entries in /var/log/syslog, I'd estimate that it manages to send about 2800 messages an hour. How bad is that? (Given that there are 1700 or so subscribers to xml-dev alone, I'm pretty sure it ain't good enough :-)

"It's been a long time since I had to think about managing lists on a daily basis. What's the current state of the art? I've used Majordomo in the past, and that's what OASIS is running now, is that still the best choice?

"Finally, on the subject of mail archiving, I'm pretty sure that we can construct a complete and uninterrupted archive. Regardless of whether or not the OASIS machine has kept the messages that aren't currently in the archives (I bet it hasn't), I have all of them.

"The current archive system is built around MhonArc. Is that the best choice?

"Anyway, I hope that a little more patience will be rewarded with significant improvements. I'll keep you posted..."

If any people here have advice for Norm, I'll send him a pointer to this thread. Getting XML-DEV healthy is important. 1700 members. That's a lot of developers. Further it would be great to get a list of software together to run a current-best-practices Unix mail server. "dave"