Re: Music and the Internet

Author:Ken MacLeod
Posted:4/23/2000; 6:10:01 AM
Topic:Music and the Internet

Brad Petitt said in another followup, "the incentive is to pay an artist for their work and to stop breaking the law."

Dave says, "And if we want music we have to find a way to flow cash to the musicians."

Since the 'net is all about getting rid of the person in the middle, if all this cash gets flowing to the artists, who loses? The recording industry (agency, brokering, and marketing). Oops. No wonder they're yelling the loudest.

This is more of a gut feeling (and strictly opinion), but I think the artists that are backing the recording industry are doing so more because they are themselves a product of the recording industry more than they are self-made musicians.