Re: ISPs of convenience

Author:Nick Sweeney
Posted:4/23/2000; 1:46:34 PM
Topic:ISPs of convenience

That's great: Lance is the right person to lobby on the economic consequences of the current legal situation, once litigators start driving business overseas.

An ironic side-effect of the current RIP bill is that it wants to define an ISP as a "public telecommunication system". I'm not enough of a lawyer (ie not one at all) to know whether that would defend them against being "publishers" in current defamation law, and to be honest I'd rather see the bill thrown out, but it's the sort of legal definition we need.

You're completely right, though: we have to use the system(s) we're in. Think in terms of Delaware corporations, not offshore tax havens.