Re: Syndication of XML/RSS newsfeeds

Author:Ken MacLeod
Posted:4/26/2000; 11:57:48 AM
Topic:Syndication of XML/RSS newsfeeds

It would be good if there were a distributed syndication system, like Usenet, so I could hit a local server once a minute and not feel guilty.

Does a system like that exist?

There was a thread on XML-DEV recently about using Gnutella for distributing XML.

This also falls under the category of "multicasting", and there are a lot of protocols used for that. What you'd do is subscribe (register interest) in a channel and from then on you get notified of any changes in real-time. IRC would probably work well too, but it doesn't scale well automatically.

I've done a lot of thinking in this area if you'd like to email me.