Re: Alternate approach (was Re: Firewalls, Hooray)

Author:Jim Correia

Sam, what a quick an elegant solution.

The only change I would make is to use (assuming port 81)

http://127.0.0.1:81/yadda/yadda/yadda/

Of the three flavors of browser currently installed on my machine, only one gets local host correct (IE 5). The others see the one word domain name and try to do something clever like go to www.localhost.com or look it up in Alexa. This behavior is bogus. If you use the loopback address it seems to circumvent this "cleverness" and just do the right thing.