Re: Tough problem to solve...

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/10/2000; 12:05:10 PM
Topic:Piking behind firewalls

It's even tougher than that. First, if we were able to use hash-encoding here it would not be sending something that could be grabbed and reused to edit anything other than the story in question, and even then that would expire at midnight. But the entire manila.rpc interface is built on sending usernames and passwords, so if you want more security, it's not possible without putting a security layer inbetween. My concern on this project is only to prove or disprove that it can be done without having Manila send an rpc message to Pike. The security issues are orthogonal to that. I'm going to update the plan shortly to reflect the current work.