Re: Misguided Boston Globe editorial: Keep Copyrights Safe

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:5/16/2000; 3:34:13 PM
Topic:Misguided Boston Globe editorial: Keep Copyrights Safe

Irwin Scwartz was part of the team that defended Mattel and Microsystems Software

That's not at all obvious from the tagline at the bottom.

I may be jumping on the Globe a little hard for me not recognizing counsel in that lawsuit, but in an era when anytime MSNBC reports on Microsoft they mention the blindingly obvious MS==microsoft, this is irresponsible journalisim.

This is an article (not clearly marked as an opinion piece, it's in the business section) about the defense of copyright in a highly contentious case only marginally related to copyright and they don't mention that the author is a primary party in the lawsuit. The author is not a public figure with instant name recognition (i.e. Greenspan, Clinton) and is simply identified with the following:

Irwin B. Schwartz is managing partner of Schwartz and Nystrom

If this were in the Wall Street Journal, the lines following the article would have stated that the author was primary counsel for Mattel.

eric