Re: PR

Author:Phil Wolff

You might want to see if the writers at c|net, or elsewhere, are writing off of someone else's news release and whether that release omits UserLand.

also...

Do you use a traditional PR firm? I've seen recent reports on how that old "Have I got a story for you, buddy" story/writer development process is beating out the news release. Cutting through what journalists perceive as a torrent of noise. Sorta high touch advocacy beating out generic business flack. btw, if you find a good firm, I'm shopping for one too.

I've talked twice in two weeks with people who have personal PR agents. Objective: to create a reputation for themselves. Personal branding above and beyond their role or firm.

I always thought that the personal and strongly voiced DaveNet functioned like a high touch form of gonzo PR. I have to believe that journalists subscribing were more likely to treat them as a valued and unique source of information than as one more news release buried among the 5000 news releases issued each week.

Yours in memesis,

- phil