Re: scriptingNews outline for 6/4/2000

Author:Edd Dumbill

Before we get too self-congratulatory on our open process, observe that it might not be all that open.

Dave, I'd really like you to expand on these comments. I think you have a good point -- in some ways XML is a ticket to being able to say you're "open", even though you can be just as closed with XML as with anything.

What in particular do you see as the major problems with the conferences and/or organizations you mention?

Looking at the IBM one, all the XML seems highly focused on e-business and the enterprise. The Open Source convention hardly has any explicit XML in it at all -- XML hasn't caught the attention of the open source community yet in the same way it has the commercial developers. I'm sure Microsoft's will be full of XML as it pertains to the Microsoft platform. I don't know too much about Sun, but I've had reports from people that for most of last year the Java people didn't really care much for XML.

I'd love to hear you expand on your thoughts.