Re: PR-ArtofGetting Frontier/Manila in Door!

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/4/2000; 9:30:21 AM
Topic:PR-ArtofGetting Frontier/Manila in Door!

You know the hardest sells on Manila are people who use Frontier. One case, I am longtime friends with the CEO of a company, we went out for dinner and I explained what Manila is, and he said if it really does that it's the next VisiCalc. I said it does it all. I asked him to set up his own site. He said he'd have his webmaster look at it. (I knew this was bad news!)

Turns out the webmaster was using Frontier 5.x to maintain their corporate website. He knew nothing about Manila. All his questions were about improvements to the website framework. We answered his questions, updated them to 6.x, and he's happy, but he still hasn't created a Manila site.

So there was a downside to giving away Frontier. It created a position, and relatively happy users, and they were not and are not expecting anything fundamentally new from us. Manila is fundamentally new. It's what we were working towards all the time, and I wish every Frontier user would set aside a couple of days to play with a Manila site. I think it will happen gradually, but in the meantime we're working on ways to get it in front of the writers and admins, and support the back-door process.