Re: A World Without Microsoft

Author:Russell Lipton
Posted:6/8/2000; 6:56:29 PM
Topic:A World Without Microsoft

I don't believe it is in Gates' character to admit he was wrong on something so essential, in his world-view as "innovation". I also believe he is convinced they WILL win in court ultimately.

If these two assumptions are true, and you were Gates, why would you give up?

The word "innovation" has the ring, when he says it, of a privately held conviction with lots of emotional and intellectual power to it FOR HIM. For that matter, the inside members of the cult (Ballmer, among others) also chant it with a peculiar rhythm, imo.

About Allen, I am not so sure. He may understand.

I thought your point in another post or doc was right-on. Gates has opportunity to be a true leader in the industry. This is not incompatible with making enormous profits. However, this conflicts with every single instinct and operational mechanism he has brought to bear with Microsoft to date, since it connotes a "nurturing" aspect rather than a "squashing" modality.

Yahoo reported today that Klein re-introduced settlement as something he wants "on the table" but also reported the same intransigent rhetoric from Gates about winning in court appeal. While settlement talks go on continuously and we aren't privy to the real bargaining chips, I take both of these at face value:

.gov would accept a meaningful settlement.

MS has no interest in anything but proving they were/are right.

One final point: it may turn out that Gates' horrendous performance in court was neither an anomaly nor a mere blunder but an indication of how adamantly opposed he really is to giving an inch on this stuff.

If so, hang on. We're all in for it.