Friendliness

Author:Geoff Allen

In Lincoln, NE, walking around town in the early morning, a very lovely day coming, a stranger said hello to me as we passed on the street. I was puzzled. Does he know me? How could he, when I was so far from home. Later I realized this was a different custom. Outside NY, where I grew up, it's not uncommon for people to greet each other, even strangers. In NY, this is unheard-of.

Heh. Reminds me of my favorite scene in Crocodile Dundee. He's flying into NYC and says, "Imagine 7 million people all wantin' to live together. New York must be the friendliest place on earth!" Then we cut to Mick walking down a busy Manhattan street saying, "G'Day" to each person he passes and tipping his hat. Hilarious!

Here in Idaho we say "Hi" to strangers as well. In rural areas, we even wave at strangers in oncoming cars. It really freaks people from big cities out! I remember a Chicago native telling me that Pocatello, Idaho was just too friendly and he really needed for someone to be rude to him to make him feel comfortable.

Me, I'll stick with friendly.