scriptingNews outline for 6/11/2000

Author:Dave Winer

DaveNet: The Sixth Sense.

Jakob Nielsen: Customers as Designers. "It is much easier to make changes to an existing template than to create something from the bottom up."

New Theme: Minimal White is avaliable for all UserLand-hosted Manila sites.

Gilmore via Gillmor: "If we can't figure out how musicians and movie creators can make money in an era of widespread, unlimited copying, how will we prevent our entire economic system from collapsing when there's molecular manufacturing and even physical objects can be copied cheaply and widely?'' says John Gilmore. Good question. Maybe we can all take a well-deserved vacation?

Sites that could use help. "I've been reading the Most Read Sites Yesterday page pretty regularly, and it points out a couple of sites that are getting a reasonable number of hits, but aren't being updated by their editors."

Guardian: Web inventor says ads 'pervert' content.

Alan Baratz: "At first, I met with the FireDrop team only to get Vinod off my phone. I'm glad I did, because I've never seen anything as cool as the FireDrop technology. This is the most compelling thing I've seen since Java."

Maybe FireDrop will appear on this site someday? (Soon?)

Duffer: Weblogs As Scratchpads. "A Manila site can serve as a raw sketchbook if you like. A series of personal post-it notes, rough ideas for future stories, ways to capture fleeting thoughts and reminders of what just happened in your community or your life."

Cameron Barrett: "If you don't worry about money, then Sammy's is the place to be for any group outing."

Two interesting pictures from David Singer's weblog. First, his son Jeffrey's favorite activity, and the same boy holding a symbol of his father's youthful creativity. David graduated RPI in 1975, one year before I graduated Tulane. Our stories are probably quite similar!

Gardening this morning, planting snaps and marigolds, digging around, I found that three of last year's dahlias, that I thought hadn't made it through the winter, are doing great. I adopt the editor's philosophy of gardening. I can move things, cut others back, or delete them entirely, if they don't please me. I am the god of my garden. I answer to no one.