Re: Napster Comments on ScriptingNews

Author:Micah Alpern
Posted:6/11/2000; 7:14:04 AM
Topic:Re: Napster Comments on ScriptingNews

Another thing that's real is Napster. If you can, for a moment, ignore the legal controversy of Napster. What's truly wonderful about it is that it's bringing the power of the server to the desktop in a mass market way.

I agree completely. I like the fact that its causing consumer network infrastructure providers fits. They were trying to architect a system for fast downloads and slow uploads. Turning the network into a TV style distribution and consumption system and removing the promise of many to many communication. If your running a webserver off a cable modem your probably in violation of your service contact. That's like saying you can pay us to receive email but your not authorized to send it. I'm sorry that so much of the network conversation is currently in pirated intellectual property but I like the way its forcing providers to re-architect there systems.