Re: C# papers

Author:Kent Spaulding
Posted:6/26/2000; 10:18:15 AM
Topic:C# papers

People do move to new languages, if they are backwards compatible enough - e.g. Java.

As for adding a garbage collector to C++ - how does one accomplish this? C++ has no root to a class heirarchy, no formal definition of the minimal set of properties that make an object an object. Therefore it has no true definition of an object reference. This makes garbage collection nearly impossible. Now add in the confounding notions of pointers to primitive types, pointer arithmetic, a variety of new operators, interoperability with C, catches of any legal type, and finally, references, and then design that collector. There's a reason there's no there, there.

Of course none of this mean that I think C# is going anywhere - I don't see Microsoft making the disengenious 'open standard' pitch a la Sun in 95...

Aren't C# and D-flat the same note? D-flat sounds more apropos.