Re: Napster Business Model

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:6/26/2000; 9:49:52 PM
Topic:Napster Business Model

But it's still a very good question.

I believe that copyright applies to the LP - the collection, not the song.

In a copyright-by-song model, can I deduct $.99 from the price of Patsy Cline Sings Song of Love because I already have the recording of 'Crazy' from Rolling Stone's Women in Rock? I don't think so. By redistributing the work in part you may be violating copyright. Is there any way to know that you are acquiring the very same version of the song that you own? There must be 50 recordings of Patsy's song out there...

Ugh. A bazillion details!