Re: Frontier and Jabber

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:6/26/2000; 9:37:35 PM
Topic:Frontier and Jabber

I don't know if Jabber is the one to support either, but it's the only one that I've found that is open, relatively flexible, and offers source code. It's the only one that has caused me to bother asking the question about moving forward...

The fact that Jabber people may be interested in meeting Frontier half-way I think would be attractive. There are a wide-range of clients forthcoming, a number of bridges, and a spec which is available to anyone. It may not be the best player, but it at least seems to be on the right team.

I think that Jabber may help provide that common interface - hell, it's just XML. The fact that they offer a public interface which can interact with AIM and ICQ is a good sign. AOL can barely get their shit together enough to bridge these two and they own both! It's like Apple circa 1995...

Jabber's XML specs seem reasonably well thought out. It would *really* benefit from XML-RPC or SOAP as they are standing right there and apparently would get a lot for free by adopting it. Should they do that, I would think that implementation in Frontier would be about as easy as can be expected.

If Jeremie steers us on the XML-RPC or SOAP side, I'd be more than happy to dig in and do what I can to tie these two together... The only other party I'd really want to hear from is AOL - they own this market - but I have zero expectation that they'd be interested.